Sunday, October 11, 2009

Media Relations Student Editor

The beginning of this school year allowed another beginning for me: I started my position as Media Relations Student Editor for the Media Relations Office at Minnesota State University, Mankato.  Now, nearly two months in, I am extremely grateful for the experience I'm getting that will continue to prepare me for my future in public relations.
As the student editor, I write articles for the university's Web site.  I also help put together the stories for the biweekly newsletter that gets sent out to faculty and staff.  
One aspect of my job that's been very different from any other position I've had (and one I have had no trouble getting used to) is the location of my office.  My office is like a chameleon: It's always changing.  Sometimes it's my bedroom.  Sometimes it's Memorial Library.  Other times it's a comfortable couch in Panera.
You guessed it.  All I need to work is a computer, connection to the Internet and my AP Stylebook, of course.  
Not only do I have the freedom to choose where I want to work, I also have a voice in when I want to work.  If I have five hours of homework to do after getting home at 6 p.m. from classes, I can start a piece at 11 p.m. before I go to bed.
All my information is sent to me by e-mail from my boss.  All my pieces are typed and then compiled in Word for the newsletter and posted on the Web site.
This is perfect practice for me as I look toward life after graduation, and it's a wonderful job to have with my heavy workload as a college student.  

2 comments:

  1. I have never really thought about the availability and endless locations of where I can connect to social media. As you stated above your office is like a chameleon always changing. Think about all the endless tools we as Public Relations majors are going to use throughout our career. I can imaging it just being like how you described your job above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity! It's great you are able to use your skills we have learned before graduating. It will allow you to be more prepared and ready when it comes time to apply for public relations jobs.

    ReplyDelete